Following consultation with the public, we announced plans on 30 September to examine the possibility of extending the size of our proposed swimming pool from 20 metres to 25 metres and are pleased to announce that our planning application contains proposals for this. The majority of the pool is now 25 metres in length over three swimming lanes, which are 6 metres in width. The remaining 2.5 metre wide section of the pool will be an 18 metre long ‘free swimming’ area suitable for families.
We are currently consulting with LB Lambeth and Sport England on how these facilities will be made available to local residents and it is proposed that the terms of the access arrangements will be agreed via a Community Use Agreement that will stipulate dedicated times of access and entrance charges for the local community.
The plans include:
- An elegant building of 32 storeys;
- Accommodation for approximately 572 students;
- Swimming pool – the majority of which is now 25 metres in length;
- Leisure facility;
- Glazed frontage to South Lambeth Road from the leisure facility creating an active street scene;
- A significant amount of internal and external amenity space for students – including a roof terrace;
- Secure on-site bike storage;
- Landscaped public amenity space along South Lambeth Road;
- Greener energy – including a Combined Heat and Power system and solar panels.
Following consultation with local residents, Lambeth Council, CABE and the Greater London Authority, the proposed cladding has been changed to a terracotta material, to reflect the tone and texture of the buildings in the neighbouring conservation area.
We hope to achieve planning consent in 2012, following which construction will begin immediately with an intended opening date in summer 2014. We will continue to keep you updated as the plans progress via this blog. Consultation with local people, stakeholders and businesses will also continue to ensure we deliver the best possible scheme for Vauxhall.